Skip to main content

What if.... (ramblings)

Sometimes I reflect on my life and wonder what it would have been like had my family never moved to Utah when I was 11 years old. For 9 glorious years I lived in northern California in a once small town that was in the beginning stages of evolving into a large city. While my family was, and still is LDS, my closest friends at the time were not LDS. Most of them weren’t even overtly religious.
During the time in which I still considered myself to be LDS, I often wondered if I had remained in California, would I, through the influence of these non-Mormon friends, “succumbed” to the evils of the world when I was a teenager? Through contact on Facebook, I viewed pictures of my friends holding beers, displaying new tattoos or piercings, and I knew, without being told, that most of them were experienced in the world of sex by the time they graduated. A part of me longed to have had those same experiences, but the side of me that was still heavily influenced by Mormon dogma, tried to convince that “less savory” side of myself, that had I remained in California, I would end up eternally punished for following my friends example.

 Religions in general seem to perpetuate the idea that if you surround yourself by negative influences long enough you will eventually adapt those same negative qualities and lose favor with god. Mormons absolutely love this idea, which is why so many young families either remain in Utah or relocate to Utah, so they can surround their families with like minded people and hopefully cushion their offspring from the outside world.

While dwelling on thoughts of what my life could have been like, I tried to envision myself as a champion of my religion. I would maintain my good friends, but through my stellar example, they would see that my choices to abstain from sex, drugs and alcohol were serving me well, and they would eventually come around to see things as I do. But a tiny part of me, the part of me that has become a much larger presence in my life since leaving the Church, knew that this would not have happened. I’m not sure if I would have experimented with my friends or not, having never been given the opportunity to experience the possibility with the friends I made in Utah, but I know that secretly, I would have wanted desperately to be like them.

I have good LDS friends in Utah, who for the most part, married young and are now supporting families with multiple children. They post about their children and how wonderful it is to see them growing closer to god. They comment on articles and other posts in regards to things like transgenders, gay marriage, and abortion, and I find myself growing more and more incredulous as the weeks go by. I never realized that through high school and college I had convinced myself to think exactly as the Church wanted me to. I didn’t have an opinion on anything until the Church came out with one. This applies to my Mormon friends today. It’s just shocking, now that I am beginning to formulate my own opinions on these very same subjects, to see the distance that is growing between the opinions of my friends and I, especially those friends whom I always considered more progressive than a lot of others of my acquaintance.

I think what gets me the most is the fact that I used to think like them, and a part of me now just kind of assumed that since I was broadening my horizons, they were all learning and changing their opinions as well. That’s a ridiculous assumption, I know, but to be fair, it wasn’t a conscious one.
It’s this disparity between people that I was once close to that bothers me to the extent that I just want to get out of Utah and start all over. I’m still in this state of limbo where I find it extremely difficult to voice my own opinions but privately seething with the religious ideologies that my friends support and raise their own children with. I have never been one to be overly verbose and I suffer from shyness, especially in situations where the potential for contention and argument is almost guaranteed.

This last year has been tricky, but the last month and a half has been worse. I’m getting married (which is wonderful and I could not be happier) but we’ve been living together for over a year and no one outside of my family is aware of this. Even my maid of honor has no idea and I’m fairly certain she just assumes that I will be married in the temple. Her step-dad certainly does. He congratulated me on my upcoming nuptials a few weeks ago and then pointedly asked me where my reception would be. Not my ceremony. Only the reception. I didn’t have the guts to tell him that both would be in the same place, and not in the temple.

I’m not entirely sure where I’m going with this. But when I start getting super anxious about the idea of finally coming clean, I try to forget about what might happen and dwell on what might have been had I never left California.  For one thing, I would have had a lot more friends to turn to and not be afraid to tell them the truth.

One of the biggest reasons why I find it difficult to just come clean is because I have this oppressing fear of disappointing people. You can learn a lot about someone through their actions, but that shouldn’t be your sole basis for forming an opinion about them. I went to church like I was supposed to. Didn’t drink or experiment with drugs. I didn’t even date anyone so there was no way I was having sex. This “good” girl persona was shared by everyone in my neighborhood. Sure, I wasn’t the typical girl. I played sports, vocally hated having to wear dresses and skirts and avoided singles ward activities like they were the plague, and I didn’t express a giddy happiness about falling in love and having buckets of children. But I was still “following the commandments”. My parents saw me the same way. I was the more responsible child. The more reliable child and president of every church class I was in with leaders that loved me for reasons I still cannot conceive of.

What kills me is that as much as I hate this perception, I am absolutely terrified of shattering it, of possibly losing the respect of people I’ve known for more than half my life. The danger of assuming a person is one thing based on what you see them doing is dangerous because you never see what is going through that individuals mind. No one was aware of the times I would lay in bed on a Sunday morning wishing I was sick enough to stay home. No one was aware of all the times that I didn’t fast or seethed at some preposterous idea that made women second to men. Most people didn’t know that I wore shorts under my skirts for years just to make me feel like I was sticking it to the man. No one saw me shirk my duties as President and pray desperately to be released from a calling I had no desire to fulfill. All they saw were the motions I went through at Church.

Now I think I’m just whining and I’m not really making a point here. All of this is just to say that you think you know someone well enough to anticipate their opinions and how they’ll respond to controversial ideas, but it’s an angry wake-up call when you realize that you were never actually on the same page as those people you were told were the better friends with a more positive influence. So why didn’t I stay the same?


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

In Response to Mr. Greg Trimble

(Apologies for another long post) In a perusal of my Facebook news feed, I stumbled across a lovely article that a neighbor of my parents shared entitled “So…You Think the Book of Mormon is a Fraud” . Mr. Trimble, who authored this lovely article, uses the typical Mormon circular reasoning that states that if the Book of Mormon is true, then Joseph Smith was a prophet; and if Joseph Smith was a prophet, then the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints is the same Church that Christ established while he was on Earth. So in the Mormon mind, it all comes down to whether the BOM is true or not, and for this, they rely on warm fuzzy feelings to confirm that the Book is in fact, true. Mr. Trimble states that he noticed that most of the people who criticize the Book of Mormon the loudest, have not actually read it. While this may be true, I don’t think a person needs to read a book fully to understand whether it’s true or not. That’s what research is for. Reading the Book of Morm

The War in Heaven; Part 2

                I suggest that the extreme horribleness of hell, as portrayed by priests and nuns, is inflated to compensate for its implausibility. If hell were plausible, it would only have to be moderately unpleasant in order to deter. Given that it is so unlikely to be true, it has to be advertised as very scar indeed, to balance its implausibility and retain some deterrence value.                                 Richard Dawkins, God Delusion, pg. 361  I began the first part of this post because of a comment on Facebook and the article that it linked to. I was frustrated by both because they contradict the doctrine I was taught throughout my relation with the Church and they blatantly ignore that it was the same for every member up to the publishing of this article. Not only this, but they make it sound as though the members who believe that we had a choice in heaven between Satan and Jesus (almost every single member) misinterpreted these lessons, and they are the ones at fau

I'm Not a Fan of Matt Walsh: Part 2

Matt Walsh is an Idiot: Why “Yes, Gay Marriage Hurts Me Personally” is not effective. I am a glutton for punishment where Matt Walsh is concerned. He is a pompous ass, and reading his articles makes my blood boil, and not just because he writes for Glen Beck’s network and we don’t share the same opinions. Bottom line is that he is not a great writer. If he were to turn one of his articles into any of my University English professors, he would not have fared well. Even my 11 th grade English teacher would have ripped him a new one. Why: Because he cannot write an argumentative paper. Not a single one of his articles I have read has contained any semblance of argumentation. He likes to say things like, first and second, as if he’s actually introducing solid reasons to support his opinion, but they end up being wordy and condescending with an overabundance of analogies that don’t actually provide support. The article listed in the title of my post is one of Walsh’s more recent